As the temperatures plummet, frozen pipes become a very real danger to your home. Aside from the annoyance of not having water in your home, it can create a lot of damage that is difficult to repair in freezing conditions.
The American Red Cross suggests these 5 ways to prevent frozen pipes:
- Keep garage doors closed especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Keep kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. (Be careful you aren’t allowing your pets or children access to any harmful cleaners or chemicals).
- Let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe – even at a trickle – helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. Turning down the furnace at night might save a few dollars, but not if it comes at the cost of an expensive repair bill for frozen pipes.
- If you’re leaving your home for a while, set the thermostat no lower than 55° F.
About Kevin Panter Insurance
Located in Blue Ridge Georgia, and serving all of Fannin and surrounding counties, Kevin Panter Insurance is one of the leading independent insurance agencies in Northern Georgia. Representing the finest auto and home insurance carriers and the leading business insurance companies, Kevin Panter Insurance can provide you with the best in insurance value.