It’s only natural to panic a little after even a minor auto accident. Below are a few tips on what to do if that should happen. The video goes into these tips in more detail.
- Check Injuries – Make sure you are ok first and then check your passengers
- Call for an Ambulance – if anyone above is unresponsive, bleeding or unable to move immediately call for assistance
- Turn on your hazards – Make sure other drivers can see you
- Pull to the side – If it’s necessary for safety and your vehicle can move, pull to the side of road
- Exit the Vehicle – But only if it’s safe to do so
- Use traffic cones, triangles or flares to prevent other drivers from causing a secondary accident
- Call the Police – in most every case it’s best to call the police. Especially if there are injuries or extensive damage. Even in minor accidents, having a police report can help the claim settlement process, and reporting the accident may very well be required. Leaving the scene without calling police may involve legal issues.
- Exchange info with any other involved parties or witnesses. Name, address, phone, year make and model of vehicle are all things to document.
- Document the accident – Write down what happened as soon as possible while it’s fresh in your memory. Take pictures of the vehicles, damage and the scene.
- Call Us as soon as possible. We can help you get the claim started and help guide you in next steps.
Thing NOT to Do
- Don’t leave the scene – this may open you up to being charged with a “hit and run” or “leaving the scene of an accident”. Stay at the scene until law enforcement tells you it’s ok to leave.
- Don’t Say “I’m sorry” or admit fault in any way. Even something as polite as saying I’m sorry might be taken as an admission of fault. Let the officers recreate the scene. It’s entirely possible witnesses may have seen things you aren’t aware of and the accident was not your fault, or at least not entirely your fault.
About Kevin Panter Insurance
Located in Blue Ridge Georgia, and serving all of Fannin and surrounding counties, Kevin Panter Insurance is one of the leading independent insurance agencies in Northern Georgia. Representing the finest auto and home insurance carriers and the leading business insurance companies, Kevin Panter Insurance can provide you with the best in insurance value.