Anyone who has met our agency owner, Kevin Panter, knows that fire safety is a subject that is near and dear to his heart. His many years serving as a volunteer fireman attest to that.
We recently discovered a terrific guide to wildfire safety that was created by the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety. The guide has multiple editions specific to different regions of the country. You can download the PDF for the Southeast Edition here.
The guide suggests a number of things property owners can do to try to reduce the risks of wildfire to their homes and businesses. Here are a few of their suggestions:
- Always use non-combustible materials when building or replacing roofs and decks/patios
- Keep your gutters clear from leaves and debris. They can easily ignite and set your roof on fire.
- Enclose your homes foundation. Open foundation create a path for fire to enter the underside of your home
- Use spark arrestors on any chimneys or flues.
- Keep any flammable liquids or materials at least 30 feet from your home.
- Remove or thin any vegetation that is next to your home, or within 30 feet. This includes the tops of trees that might encroach on your “defensible zone” of 30 feet.
- Makes sure attic vents and windows are properly enclosed
Most of these items are simple things you can do for little, or no, cost. The other items are things to consider when updating your home. With the hot, dry summer approaching quickly, now is the time to take steps to protect your property.
About Kevin Panter Insurance
Located in Blue Ridge Georgia, and serving all of Fannin and surrounding counties, Kevin Panter Insurance is one of the leading independent insurance agencies in Northern Georgia. Representing the finest auto and home insurance carriers and the leading business insurance companies, Kevin Panter Insurance can provide you with the best in insurance value.